Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Freshman Focus Group

     Yesterday, we were given the opportunity to speak with some of our other freshman peers, as well as some faculty members from High Point University. We were able to touch on a variety of topics while we sat comfortably in the Greek Village Ballroom. There was even a baked potato bar, amongst other goodies, that we became privy to and were able to divulge in. At first, many of my classmates, including myself, were unsure of what we were getting into. However, it turned out to be an enjoyable afternoon and a break from the norm. That is one reason why I really enjoy this school, especially my seminar-style classes. It is not everyday that I get to sit around with people going through the same situations I am struggling with, and freely express how I feel. I thought that I was on my own with some of the things that I felt about HPU, but I was not.
          Many people, just like me, are struggling with the transition between high school and a higher learning setting. Math has always been a struggle for me, but the services we have in place are quite remarkable. I was not alone when I mentioned that the amount of support and compassion that the faculty at HPU gives is truly a blessing, and I'm not sure that any other school could make me feel this at home. Even Beth Holder, in her southern accent saying, "Go on, honey, grab another plate," just reminds me of home and my mother. High Point really sealed the deal for me when I had my last ankle surgery during my senior year. I was laid up in bed for about a month. I was already accepted into the University, but the fact that the staff took time out of their busy day to write me a hand written note, on beautiful card stock, and send me a blanket to help provide me with extra comfort during my recovery really touched me. Knowing that the faculty really wanted me as a part of their family was an amazing feeling. One question that was asked at the end of the focus group was, "If you had to do it all over again, would you choose HPU," and everyone in the room had the same answer. We would choose High Point again and again.



No comments:

Post a Comment